Saturday, July 25, 2009

Journey to Jordan, JFK

OK, so who’d have thunk that I’ve have a story to tell just on a day spent at airports?
I’ve never had to do this before on a layover, but I had to claim my baggage at JFK from the Jetblue terminal, carry it by AirTrain to the international terminal and I’m waiting to re-check it. Kinda a drag, turns out that my gigantic backpack that I borrowed from Randy for the trip is only 33 pounds, but it feels A LOT heavier, and it’s not tiny and maneuverable either. But I have a 5 hour layover and I cannot check my bag for the next leg until 3 hours before departure, so I’m blowing time in terminal 4. Looks like I’m in good company since there’s no extra seating and people are piled up on the floor with their luggage. BUT, something interesting is happening. I’m leaning against the wall with my bags on the floor and I notice that up on the concourse one floor above me is giant white sails (?) and I thought that they might be doing some construction, but when I look closer, there’s all sorts of extra lighting on tall tripods and many people standing around, and then there’s a guy with a microphone on a long pole and someone with a big movie camera on wheels. It looks like they are shooting maybe a documentary??? But I watch as they run it over and over and have some girls in goofy flight attendent uniforms come back and start over, and then they talk to the guys in the TSA uniforms (actors?) and run it again. I tried to find someone that I’d recognize, but I don’t know…. 2 guys flashed some sort of pass coming up from another part of the terminal, and maybe one of them is that hairy guy from (??) Saving Sarah Marshall (is that the name?) The one that hosted the MTV awards? But I’m probably fooling myself. Anyway, it now looks like they are filming a movie, although I’ll never be able to tell which one, if/when I ever see it. And to confirm that impression, I took a photo from down here and my camera automatically flashed and a guy in a red shirt with a walkie-talkie came running over and told me , “Ma’am, if you are taking pictures, please do not use your flash, it messes up our lighting structure.” SO, I apologized and took another photo without a flash.
So, the two girls in flight attendents uniforms are in the center. Ughh, cannot upload photo - don't have time to figure it out. I'll try later.
Anyway, I forgot to pack the charging cord for my Kindle and that’s bad, hoping that the 2-3 week charge is true, otherwise, I think that I can download all of my bought books to this little netbook and I can read them there. I have the cord for that.
Inshallah!
***** It’s Sunday morning in AMMAN
I’ve arrived, late. Had a delay in my flight to Amman, an extra 4 hours in JFK cooling my heels, 12 hour flight. But I’m HERE!! I had fantastic people on the flight, I have 2 phone numbers of men who will “sell their house” if I get into trouble and need money or assistance. That’s nice. Lex is wonderful, but too beautiful, all of the men stop and watch us walk by and it’s not because of me. I had a fantastic late night dinner of Talerook (?) that is grilled chicken last night and then crashed and couldn’t sleep cuz I’m so goofed up. Pray for us.
We catch a “service taxi” in a few minutes to Damascus. We already have our visas, so hoping that there’s no catch at the border. Depending on Internet, I’ll try to post from there. Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment