I have yet to figure out the unending stream of traffic coming from the busy main street to our right and streaming down (fast of course) and turning to their right just across from the building, going (fast) to the next corner just a 100 yards down and turning right again to get back on the main stree that you would assume they just came from. Taxis, busses, private cars? A steady stream. Maybe they all took a wrong turn and need to go the other direction? Otherwise our street is mainly residential and we see alot of dog walkers and some pedestrian traffic.
I do not know the real story, but I am making one up in my head. Yesterday morning an older gentleman with a grocery sack stopped in front of our building and had a chat with Franklin, our security and all-around guy. And they both spent alot of time looking up in the massive trees and doing a whistle thing, 2 notes {high, slightly lower}. I am going to call it the woohoo whistle, because it's what I do in a giant clothing store when I've lost my daughter and I need to get her attention, therefore, her nickname is also Woohoo. So, the 2 gentlemen are having a pleasant discussion accompanied by looking upward and whistling. Then the gentleman on the outside of the fence reaches in his grocery sack and pulls out an orange and gives it to Franklin. Well, isn't he a nice man??
Then a couple of hours later, the same older gentleman returns with a younger gentleman and they wander in front of the fence looking into the trees and doing the woohoo whistle. And then they have a conversation with both Franklin and Deda (our other all-around man) and I have no idea what kind of drama is going on. Luckily Joice is in the office by now and I asked, "What are they doing??" And she tells me that there's some bird, that is up in the tree and isn't eating. And everyone is concerned.
Is it a pet? Is it just a friendly neighborhood bird? I don't know. But it didn't eat the orange and everyone is concerned. I had forgotten that when we got in the office this morning and I was plugging in my computer when I noticed that the security police officer that patrols the neighborhood is now parked in front of the building, talking to Franklin, looking upward and whistling. And, doggone it, I want to see the bird!!! So, I run downstairs and ask Rute at the front desk if she can see the bird, she doesn't have much english, so I flap my arms for her and point outside. She laughs and says that the bird's species is Roxledic (no idea of spelling) or maybe it's name is Roxledic. And I go out to see if I can see it in the tree with the police guy. I don't see it. Maybe this is like a big joke on the goofy American girl. In the U.S., especially at teenager summer camp, there's a trick that you play on gullible people called a Snipe hunt. You give the curious camper a pillow case and send them out into the night to catch a Snipe. I cannot remember if you have to make a silly noise or bang on trees with a stick. But the whole point is to laugh at them. So, maybe someone staged this whole production for me to stand out in the parking area looking up into the trees and whistling to the fictional WooHoo bird??


No comments:
Post a Comment